I get asked all the time. How do you know what to eat? How can I cook when I’m not sure what’s healthy? How can I be sure I’ll like the taste?! Isn’t it HARD to cook healthy?
On….and on….and on.
I’m not going to lie, it’s a process to learn how to substitute, how to eat right, what portions to eat, how to make a TASTY yet healthy meal. So first things first. CALM DOWN. You aren’t going to learn everything overnight, and you sure aren’t going to learn all of the little secrets from one blog post. It takes practice to find what you like and what you don’t. But I assure you, once you START somewhere, little by little, your life will begin to change.
I don’t want to overwhelm you with too much information from this one post. Also, remember, I sure as hell am not a certified nutritionist nor do I pretend to be. These are just a few tricks that I use…and actually like the taste of and can find the time for.
If you are overwhelmed and freak out every time you try to eat healthy, start here and continue moving forward. (Talking of being overwhelmed….check out this article on calming down and getting your sh** together by another blogger Christine Kane. It helps me to organize and focus without being totally freaked out by all the information out there and all that I take on.)
Again, I’m not going to make this a long post, but I want you to start somewhere.
1. DRINK MORE WATER.
- Use a gallon or liter bottle every day to help calculate your water intake. 80-120 ounces A DAY
- If you don’t like to carry this around. Grab some rubber bands. Every time you drink 20 ounces take a rubber band off of your cup/bottle.
- Start your morning with 8 ounces of warm water with 1/2 a lemon squeezed for healthy digestion
- STOP COMPLAINING
2. SCHEDULE YOUR WEEK
- Every Sunday figure out what you want for dinner every night. Make sure to include a couple of crockpot recipes to save time. Then check it with the fam if you need to to make sure they’ll eat it. Ha! (Need recipes? Comment below and I will send you some healthy and tasty ones!)
- PREP your meals any time that you can. If you are making something with peppers and onions two times this week. Cut them all at the same time. Having Ground Turkey a couple nights…cook it all at once. Come on – that parts easy to figure out 🙂
3. EVERYONE HAS TIME!
If I hear one more time that you don’t have time to cook healthy…I’ll literally throw up.
Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Rolls and Green Beans. Approximately 1hour to 1.5 hours. VS Grilled Carmalized Onion Turkey Burgers with Sauteed peppers and onions on a whole wheat bun with grilled sweet and spicy sweet potato fries – 45 mins – 1 hour
Lasagna- 2 hours VS Healthier Lasagna Alternative (Make it even better with whole wheat pasta)
Freaking Fried Bologna Sandwiches – 1/2 an hour VS Turkey, Avocado and Hummus Wrap in a Flat Out Wrap
Just because you cooked extra, doesn’t mean you have to eat it. Save it for lunch the following day.
- Always use a salad plate for portion size instead of a large dinner plate
- DON’T go back for seconds. If you are still hungry before bed, grab a protein shake or a handful of almonds.
This is the last thing I want to go over and there are literally HUNDREDS of options. But, for now, here are just a few I love!
I hope this helps some!! Make sure to post in the comments any questions or if you would like a certain recipe! Heck, I’d even like to know YOUR substitution favorites!
Don’t forget to come see me in a more frequent spot on Facebook and Subscribe!